From avid gardeners to hikers, anyone who spends a lot of time outdoors runs the risk of crossing paths with a poisonous snake.
Each year around the world, 2.4 million people get venomous snake bites. Obviously, bites can be fatal, especially if proper steps aren't taken once the incident occurs.
One of the biggest myths surrounding treatment is that sucking the venom out will help. Do not do that. Cutting or applying suction to the area will only cause more damage. You should also avoid ice packs, tourniquets or any anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen.
If you get bitten, the first and most important step is, of course, calling for help and getting to the nearest emergency room as soon as possible. Until you get there, here are a few things you can do on your own:
Remove any tight-fitting clothes or jewelry.
Take photos of the wound every 15 minutes. Capture the site of the wound and any other swollen area that appears on the skin. This will come in handy when you get to the hospital.
Do not panic. Doing anything that increases your heart rate will spread the venom quicker.
Staying calm when you've been bitten by a poisonous snake may sound impossible, but let us offer some perspective: the chances of dying from a lightning strike are higher.
From: Esquire US.