Man at His Best

Escobar Wants To Vet Narcos

Pablo Escobarís brother writes to Netflix over depiction of family on TV show.

BY Jason S Ganesan | Jul 11, 2016 | Film & TV

Netflix

We all rightly sympathise when families take issue with depictions of famous dead people. But what happens when that famous dead person is King of Cocaine Pablo Escobar?

Roberto Escobar, brother of Pablo, has written to Netflix asking to review season 2 of award-winning Narcos before its premiere this September. In a statement released by Escobar Inc—yes, there’s such a thing—the request is said to be “formal” and “friendly,” and wants early access to Narcos footage “solely on an informational basis.” 

“It is depicting me, my life, my family and my brother. I think nobody else in the world is alive to determine the validity of the materials, but me,” the statement said. Just in case you’re wondering, Roberto was the accountant for the Medellín, for which he earned a 10-year stay in a Colombian maximum security prison.

Escobar Inc CEO Olof K Gustafsson noted that a similar request was made before the series premiere last year, which Netflix ignored. “I think it is important that they recognise Roberto Escobar’s wishes to review the show they are putting out, ensuring the family and viewers of an accurate portrayal of Pablo and Roberto,” Gustafsson said.

Although his letter was “formal” and “friendly,” it’s probably in Netflix’s best interests to remember that Roberto probably takes letters really seriously—his impaired vision and hearing are the result of an assassination attempt, when a letter bomb blew up in his face.

If the plot of Sicario has any basis in truth, it sounds like ‘Netflix and chill’ could potentially take on a grim new meaning.

 


MORE ON Man at His Best

Advertisement

MORE ON Man at His Best

Advertisement
Advertisement